Tomorrow is your birthday. Your 8th birthday. They are calling for snow. You are excited at the possibility of having a Birthday Snow Day. And even though I don't like snow, I am hoping for a Snow Day too. I want to spend the whole day with you. Even though when you are home, you tend to do your own thing, I love when you are here, close to me. Reminds me of the good old days when it was Alex and Mommy time all day everyday!
I can't believe I am the mom to an 8 year old. It seems like yesterday that I was at the doctor's office, and they told me it was time to head to the hospital. I remember every detail of that day. And when you turned one, I couldn't believe how quickly that first year flew by... and if I could do that first year over again, I would in a second. Actually, I wish more than anything I could go back and do the past 8 years over again. (well, I might fast forward through the terrible three's). Daddy and I cannot believe how big you are...you are almost as tall as me, and we wear the same size shoes. My chubby little bald baby is now a tall, skinny kid with a great "head of hair" that you refuse to get cut. And I miss that baby everyday, but I love watching you grow as each year passes...
Alex's Top 8 at 8
8. You are a wonderful friend. You love hanging with your buddies, riding bikes, playing in the woods, having sleep overs, and playing video games. We just had a video game party last weekend. All your friends came over for pizza and to play video games in a game truck to celebrate your birthday.
7. You are loyal to your family. You love your family most. You know that family comes first and you treat your cousins, grandparents and aunts and uncles with love and respect.
6. You are an amazing big brother. You take such good care of Isabella and Zachary. You worry about them and you look out for them. They look up to you. Zachary asks for you all day long when you are at school.
5. You are becoming quite the athlete. You have a good attitude and enjoy swimming, basketball, lacrosse and soccer. You are a team player and your effort makes us so proud.
4. You are a wonderful student. Not only are you super smart, but as your second grade teacher says, you are "invested in your learning." You take pride in your work and your abilities. I am constantly in awe of your brain and how it works.
3. You are faithful. You pray to God to thank Him for His gifts and ask Him to take care of those you love.
2. You are a model first-born son. You are such a sweet boy, and although there are times you act too cool, there are just as many times you show Dad and me how much you love us. You hug and kiss us goodnight and when we say, "May God bless you," you always say it back to us. When we were in Disney last month, I never wanted to leave because you held my hand and stayed right by my side the whole time. I love those fleeting moments when you still are my "little boy."
1. You have a huge heart. I know I already mentioned how you treat your family and friends, but I feel like I need to say it again. Never have I met a child with such a kind and empathetic heart. You always think of others, even if you don't know them. When we were in Disney, a little girl was lost. You were so worried about her finding her mom. You said to me, "Mom. You have to help her." When someone you love is sad, your big brown eyes fill with tears. You have a silly sense of humor, and you love to make people laugh. You, of course have your moments when you torment your sister or don't listen to directions, but most of the time your innate goodness shines through in your words and how you treat others. You are a truly wonderful human being. I can never tell you enough how proud I am of you, and how truly blessed I am to be your mom.
I love you sweet boy,