Thursday, January 19, 2012

Welcome to our Family, Zachary







Zachary Michael was born at 7:30 pm on January 13, 2012. 3 weeks and one day early. My water broke at 5:00 pm and I was sent to the hospital. Two and a half hours later our baby was here. The first few hours were a little scary. Zachary had to be taken to the NICU because he was having a little trouble breathing. He was given oxygen for about 20 minutes and then was monitored for several hours. All of our family was there, and they got to visit him in the NICU. I was the last to see him because I was in recovery literally sick with worry and they couldn’t regulate my blood pressure. But finally at 10 pm, they took me to see him for just a minute, but that is all it took. My heart fell so deeply in love with that one touch of his silky hair and I knew I would never be the same again. And after the longest six hours of my life, at 4 o’clock in the morning on January 14th, I held my baby for the first time.


Alex and Isabella came to the hospital to meet their Baby Zachary a few hours later. They are so excited to have him here. Alex cried when he saw him. Isabella said, “We have been waiting years for him to get here.” It was the sweetest thing I have ever witnessed in my life. My three children – my heart – all together for the first time will be a memory that will never fade.

Zachary and I spent the next few days in the hospital where “my little preemie” continued to amaze and charm every nurse he met! Babies born early are supposed to have trouble nursing. Zachary nurses around the clock. At birth he weighed 7 pounds 0.8 ounces. When we left the hospital, he had only lost a few ounces and weighed 6 pounds 11 ounces. He passed the car seat test. He had lots of poopy diapers. Every time a nurse would come into the room or bring him back from the nursery, he got a glowing report. I wrote a few things down – I couldn’t help myself. I spent so much time worrying about him while I was on bed rest and in those first few hours that I was so relieved and happy that he was doing so well. Here are some of the things the nurses said about him.


“He is so sweet and quiet.”
“The 36 weeker who sure doesn’t act like it.”
“The baby who does everything right.”


Sure, maybe the nurses say wonderful things about all the babies in their care, but if you ask me they were smitten over my little boy! How can you not be…he has the most adorable nose, kissable cheeks, prefect lips (just like his daddy). He is the cuddliest baby in the world. I never want to put him down. On his forehead, he has a little birthmark. Dr. V said it is called an angel’s kiss. I guess my grandmas couldn’t resist kissing him either!


Now we are home and life is crazy. But the best possible crazy. Isabella is right by our side all day. I take care of Zachary and she takes care of “her children.” Alex couldn’t be a prouder big brother. He was so excited to wear his BIG BROTHER shirt to school. He told his teacher, “Read my shirt.” He read to Zachary at bedtime the first night home and there was nothing better than seeing my two boys snuggle.

I truly can’t put into words how I am feeling. Zachary is the absolute perfect baby. He is my youngest and will always be my baby. Every time I look at him I can’t even wrap my head or my heart around how blessed we are and how complete we are as a family of five.

No comments: