Thursday, October 4, 2007

The Mother-Child Bond

How is it that as soon as a woman finds out she is expecting a child the bond is formed?

The moment I found out that I was pregnant with Alex, my heart became connected to him. I carried him for 9 months doing everything in my power to make sure he came into this world safely. It was amazing to be linked to another person in that way. I used to just lay and feel him move. After he was born, it was strange to see him move in certain ways and think, "Wow, that is probably what I was feeling when I was pregnant."

The bond has continued since and has grown stronger. In some ways he is more a part of me now than when I was pregnant with him. Part of this is because he usually is not out of my sight, unless he is sleeping. Spending all day, everyday with him has helped me know him better than anyone else in the world.

Last night, I tossed and turned all night. I woke up at 5:00 and could not go back to sleep. At 5:30, Alex called out to me in his scared cry. I was in his room in 5 seconds flat. He had a bad dream about a witch. He was terrified. I could tell by the way his voice shook when he talked and the big crocodile tears streaming down his face. I picked him up and truly felt his fear in my own heart, because Alex is my heart. It was as though I had the nightmare myself. It was eerie, yet extraordinary at the same time. I held him tight and we both had a good cry. Jay came and got us and brought us back to bed for some cuddle time.

The bond between mother and child is almost impossible to define. It is unending, unbreakable, and utterly the most beautiful feeling in the world. I have said it before, and I will say it again, "I am blessed." I hope and pray that this bond continues as Alex grows, and that he always knows he can come to me no matter what!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a touching story and a loving tribute to motherhood!
As you say, you are blessed, but Alex is blessed as well, to have you as his mother!

Mark said...

I can't wait to see Alex and Preslee and Mason all grow up to be fine young adults and then adults. The love that you show Alex is so selfless...we just love to see the interaction. We're all blessed to share in the love.

Three beautiful babies:) said...

I just read this and almost wrote the same thing tonight!! WEIRD:)
Alex is so lucky to have a mama like you..your bond will grow and grow..I am sure of that.