Thursday, January 31, 2008

Miracles

I just read a book called Here If You Need Me by Kate Braestrup. She is a chaplain for the Maine Warden Service, which sets up search-and-rescue missions throughout the state. She is also the mother of four. There was a part of the book where she is talking about miracles. It spoke to me as a mother, and I wanted to post it so I can always come back and read it.

"As a mother, I pray for miracles of the most ordinary kind on their (my children's) behalf. I want their hearts to keep beating. I want them to live. But then, a grateful heart beats in the world of miracles. If I could speak one prayer for you, my children, it would be that your hearts would not only beat but grow ever greater in gratitude, that your lives, however long they prove to be and no matter how they end, continue to bring you miracles in abundance."

As a mother, I want my children to have miracles in their lives, be they large or small. I want them to be able to recognize these marvels and give thanks for them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alex is a lucky little boy to have you as his "Momma". Love you, Jamie.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes it's not just the children who are the "miracles", but the parents! Alex has two of the best!

The Beynon Family said...

I love this quote! I think as a mother, this is one of our most rewarding opportunities, to be able to teach our children how to recognize and appreciate all miracles, be they large or small. What an amazing and wonderful job we have!!