Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Happy 4th Birthday Isabella

Dear Isabella,

Four years ago this minute, I was dressing you in a little tiny pink outfit and taking many pictures.  We were getting ready to come home from the hospital.  That evening you attended your first party.  We had the family over for pizza for Nana's birthday.  So I guess you can say you have been my "party girl" since the word go! 

I'm sorry this letter is a few days late, but we have been celebrating!  On Saturday, you turned four and your grandparents came to visit you.  That night we went to see fireworks at Hillendale.  It was the perfect way to spend your birthday!  Your face was priceless as you watched "your fireworks" with your cousins and friends. 
Sunday we celebrated your birthday by having an "Under the Sea" party.  You chose the theme, and of course I ran with it.  Aunt Barb made mermaid tails and "sea star" wands.  We had shark teeth and shell necklaces. You loved helping! We made up a cool sand art craft for the kids. We spent the week before making yummy desserts and decorating.  I also spent the week before watching the weather.  Last year we had an univited guest, Hurricane Irene, come to your party. This year Hurricane Issac was on his way!  I didn't want your party to get rained out two years in a row so I did a little (a lot) of praying and we set up an amazing mermaid lagoon outside hoping that the forecasters would be wrong.  I think you must have had a few angels listening on Sunday, because not a drop of rain fell until the last few minutes of the party. 




 Shari, the face painter, worked her magic and you donned your mermaid tails and danced like crazy! You had the best time!  And so did I!  I barely let you leave my sight the whole day, because I was enjoying watching the joy on your face! It was a perfect day!
So my sweet, wild, strong willed, beautiful girl, now you are four.  You tell me all the time that you are getting bigger. And I always say, "No, no no.  Don't say it!" The other day, you insisted on walking across the street to Samantha and Eva's house all by yourself!   Even though I do want you to stay my little girl, each stage of your life is so much fun.   You are my little sidekick.  We enjoy our girl time of shopping, picking out cute outfits to wear and pedicures. We love playing girly stuff like My Little Pony and dressing up your dolls. We like our "girl movies" like Beauty and the Beast and Annie. After you take your bubble baths, we cuddle up in your bed at night and read our Princess stories.  But do you know what else I absolutely LOVE about you?  You can hang with the boys! You love your brothers so much! You were excited to go see Diary of a Wimpy Kid with Alex and to run around in the yard and hide out in the fort!  You are such a big helper with Zachary.  You love to sing to him and take care of him.  You are so proud to be both a big and a little sister! And you are your daddy's girl. You love to help him work outside and you only want Daddy when you are hurt!



And you have a ton of friends - boys, girls, older, younger (hence the 40+ kids at your party).  Everyone wants to be around you because you are hilarious and fun and have an incredible imagination.  One of my favorite things to do is sit back and listen to you and your best friend, Kaitlyn, play. I can't believe the things you two come up with! I hope that all your life you continue to have these almost innate traits of being social and kind and thoughtful. 

I love you and your brothers with a fierceness that cannot be described.  I have no favorites.  Together you make up the pieces of my heart. But with that being said, you are my daughter, and the love I have for you is different. Not in a better way, but just a different way.  There is nothing in this world like having a son, but there is nothing in this world like having a daughter.  I thank God every single day for giving you to me to take care of and love.  Without you, my days would not be as full with laughter and silliness and all the fun pink girly things in life.   I want to be a role model for you.  I want to show you how to be strong and selfless and loving.  And I want to teach you by example to be confident in who you are as a person. But it is funny, because even at four years old,  I find that many times the tables are turned and you are reminding me how to be each of those things. 

 I can only imagine what great things the future holds for you my girl.  You have a picture in your room that says, "I am fairly certain that given a cape and a nice tiara, I could save the world."  I am completely certain that this is true!  And I can't wait to see it (and brag that I am your Mom)!
I love you,
Mommy

No comments: